Sejong Korea Scholars Program
Application period closed
2024 course dates: February 18 to June 15, 2024
The Sejong Korea Scholars Program (SKSP) is an online course on Korean history and U.S.–Korea relations for high school students. Sponsored by the Stanford Program on International and Cross-Cultural Education, the SKSP annually selects 20–25 exceptional high school students from throughout the United States. Selected students participate in the college-level online course from February to June of each year.
The SKSP provides students with a broad overview of Korean history and U.S.–Korea relations. Top scholars and experts throughout the United States provide online lectures and engage students in live discussion sessions. Students also complete readings and weekly assignments, with the coursework culminating in an independent research project. Students who successfully complete the course earn Stanford Continuing Studies Program (CSP) credit.
Selected students will participate in “Virtual Classroom” sessions online between February and June. Students should expect to allot 3–6 hours per week to complete the lectures, discussions, readings, and assignments. Since this is a distance-learning course, however, students can structure most of the work around their individual schedules. Although intensive, this program equips participants with a rare degree of expertise about Korea and U.S.–Korea relations that may have a significant impact on their choices of study and future careers. The SKSP is not a language course and is taught completely in English. Students do not need to know the Korean language to participate in this course.
SKSP in the News
- "Academic Exploration: My Studies in the Sejong Korea Scholars Program and Korean Peninsula." March 8, 2022.
- "Highlights from the 2021 Sejong Korea Scholars Program." June 29, 2021.
- "My Experience with the Sejong Korea Scholars Program in the Midst of a Global Pandemic." September 15, 2020.
- "Coming Full Circle: The Sejong Korea Scholars Program and Stanford." September 8, 2020.
- "The Largest Cohort of High School Students Successfully Completes the SKSP Online Course on Korea at Stanford." July 9, 2019.
- "SPICE welcomes back Dr. HyoJung Jang." May 28, 2019.
- "Conference at Stanford examines why Korea matters to American education." July 25, 2016.
- "Students honored at the 2014 Hana-Stanford Conference on Korea for U.S. secondary school teachers." August 1, 2014.
- "Sejong Korean Scholars Program honors U.S. high school students." July 25, 2013.
- "Sejong Korean Scholars Program, Stanford University: Unprecedented Online Lecture Series on Korea for American High School Students." Yonhap News. April 15, 2013.